What are Tracking Links?
Tracking links are custom URLs that allow you to monitor each of your event marketing efforts independently. This allows you to keep track and report which channels are working the best. You can create an unlimited number of tracking links with Picatic’s Google Analytics integration.
You have an event promotion or affiliate team responsible for selling tickets to your event. You can create tracking codes for each team member to monitor their sales.
You are promoting your event through Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, email etc. and you want to understand which channels are working. You can create tracking codes for each channel and monitor which are receiving the most clicks and conversions to purchasing a ticket for your event.
Before You Start
You will need to create a Picatic account with the Google Analytics integration turned on for your event. If you haven’t set this up, please read the Google Analytics guide.
Creating Your First Tracking Link
1. Visit Google’s URL Builder
2. In the “Website URL” field copy and paste the URL for your event on Picatic. Example: https://www.picatic.com/picatic-demo
3. In the “Campaign Source” field enter where the tracking code will be used. Think about where purchasers will see and click on your tracking link. Examples: facebook, google, twitter, affiliate etc.
4. In the “Campaign Medium” field enter the category for what you entered in “Campaign Source”. Examples: cpc (cost per click), email, social etc.
5. In the “Campaign Name” field enter an identifier for your event. This will make it easier to track the marketing and sales for each event separately. Examples: startup ski trip, art battle 268
6. (Optional) In the “Campaign Content” field enter something to identify your advertisement if you will be testing several versions to see which is the most effective. Examples: early bird, 10% off, snowboarding ad 3.
7. Click “Submit” to generate your tracking link. Your link should look similar to this: https://www.picatic.com/picatic-demo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=early%20bird&utm_campaign=startup%20ski%20trip
8. Select and copy your tracking link. Be sure to copy the entire link.
Using Your Tracking Links
Now that you have your tracking link simply use it in your marketing efforts for your event. You can create an unlimited number of tracking links so be sure to use a different link for each marketing channel, event or advertisement.
Here’s an example of how we used the tracking link on Facebook to spread the word about our Startup Ski Trip early bird discount.
Using Google Analytics to Monitor Your Tracking Links
1. Visit your Google Analytics Account: http://google.com/analytics/web.
2. Click on the account you used to integrate Google Analytics with Picatic. If you haven’t performed this step you will need to read the Google Analytics guide.
3. Click on “Acquisition” in the left-hand menu. Then click on “Campaigns” then “All Campaigns”.
4. If you have received traffic from your tracking link you should see the name of your event in this view. Select the campaign name that corresponds to the event you would like to monitor.
5. In this screen, you will see the Source / Medium for each of your tracking links. To see your Goal/Conversion data set the “Conversions” drop down to “Goal X: Purchase”. You will see the number of purchasers from each of your tracking links.
6. If you set the optional “Ad Content” field in your Google tracking links you can see this by selecting the “Secondary dimension” drop down and selecting “Advertising” then “Ad Content”.
There’s plenty of additional data that can be extracted from Google Analytics now that you have tracking codes set up. For more in-depth information visit Google Analytics Help.
If you have any questions or problems setting up Tracking Codes, please feel free to contact us.